First off, mold is a major issue for any household. There’s a default level of mold in all indoor and outdoor environments. It’s a big part of the natural ecosystem. However, some mold can lead to a big problem under the right conditions. With the right temperature and enough humidity, mold can grow increasingly rapidly onto practically any organic material. To know whether you need to get a mold removal service, you need first to test the mold that is in your home. Mold tests help identify the right course of action to eliminate mold issues.
If you are a resident in Salina, KS, Lamunyon Mold provides expert mold testing & inspection assessments in the area.
When To Test For Mold In Your Home?
Not everybody’s mold situation is the same. In some cases, there are very obvious signs that mold has taken hold and spread – like when it is visible and giving off a distinct odor. On the other hand, some situations require a scientific lab to identify whether or not you have mold. Professional mold testing determines the full extent of any possible mold contamination using different tests.
We recommend scheduling a mold test if any of the following situations apply to you:
- When Mold Is Not Visible But Gives Off An Odor: Mold typically grows while spreading spores to the building material around it. These spores help the mold grow as they eat away the building material. This process gives mold its distinctive smell, which can also linger in the air for a long time before the mold finally becomes visible.
- When Your Home Suffers Water Damage: Any water damage that occurs in your home has the opportunity to jumpstart a mold infestation. The extra moisture is a turbo boost for mold. This includes everything from leaky pipes to a flooded basement. To prevent a future mold infestation, homeowners should prioritize fixing water damage first, professionally waterproofing basements and crawl spaces, and then testing for mold afterward.
- Muggy Air Inside Your Home: During the beginning and end of winter, warm temperatures can combine with high humidity to create the ideal conditions for mold. When you’ve noticed that the air inside feels unusually muggy, it could be a sign that your home has poor ventilation or a moisture buildup somewhere.
- When Concerned About Indoor Air Quality: As mold spores can linger in the air for a long time before you first notice any mold growth, poor air quality can be a symptom of mold. If you have reason to suspect that the air quality may be poor, then we suggest scheduling a mold test soon.
- If You Or Another Occupant Have Been Experiencing Health Issues: In some cases, the buildup of mold spores can trigger several atypical symptoms in those with sensitive immune systems or in those who have lived with mold for an extended time. Other symptoms, such as respiratory issues, congestion, and skin irritation, can also occur after long-term exposure.
- During Real Estate Transactions: Getting mold testing done before the buying and selling of a house could protect both the buyer and the seller in this situation. It is crucial that potential occupants can make an informed decision about the mold situation before they move into a new home.
How Does Mold Testing Work?
So you’ve called a professional to check out what you suspect might be some mold growth inside your home. Here’s what to expect from your mold inspection test:
- Visual Inspection. You’ve probably already done this a dozen times yourself, but sometimes having a new set of eyes, especially trained eyes, gives you a different perspective on the situation. This step is for getting everyone on the same page about the problem while also identifying which areas need further inspection.
- Document Everything Digitally. We take thorough notes on the situation, observing all that we can about the spread and growth of the mold. And we share everything we jot down with you.
- Find The Spread Of Mold With Thermal Imaging. Thermal imaging lets us see which parts of your building materials are colder than others. The colder areas signify a moisture buildup, which is the ideal condition for mold to multiply. As mold grows when exposed to water, this step helps us narrow down the source.
- Find The Source Of Excessive Moisture. When moisture gathers in a usually dry part of your home, it signifies that the structure of your home may have been compromised. This moisture buildup could be as simple as an uninsulated window or as severe as foundational damage or a flooded basement.
- Bring Everything Together In Our Evaluation. We walk you through a straightforward, detailed overview of the mold situation. Then we design a specific mold remediation plan for you, including cleanup and preventative measure recommendations for the future.
- Post Testing Checking. Post-remediation testing comes after we complete the mold remediation process. We believe that a job worth doing is a job worth doing well.
Different Mold Tests Available In Salina, KS
During a professional mold inspection, there are testing options to consider in addition to the examination.
We can use two different mold testing methods when diagnosing a home’s mold issue. The types of tests available are air quality or direct testing. Each one provides scientific evidence about the conditions of an indoor environment. We then send the data we collect during testing to a 3rd-party, accredited laboratory for analysis. Once we have all the information available about your mold infestation, we can form a plan of action for remediation.
- Air Sample Tests – The air samples we take give us a great deal of information about the number of spores inside your home. As mold is everywhere, we expect some mold spores to already be present in your environment. However, any spore count above the norm spike suggests the presence of undesirable mold in your home, even if there are no other symptoms, and will require personal intervention.
- Surface Testing- Besides air quality testing, a surface test is also an option during an inspection. The surface testing method uses mold swabs or bio tape to determine what mold may be growing in your house. Depending on the building materials, surface testing can be performed behind a wall or above a ceiling with minimally intrusive effort.
Both types of testing are additional services offered upon request during a mold inspection.
Call Lamunyon For Mold Testing In Salina, KS Today
At Lamunyon, we are here to get the job done right. With both an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and almost 50 years of service in the greater north-central Kansas area, we are the people to call for your mold testing needs.
Lamunyon Mold’s mold specialists are fully licensed, insured, and trained to provide safe and effective mold removal, mold assessment, dehumidification, mold inspection, and mold remediation services in Salina and throughout the North-Central area of Kansas.
We have 24/7 emergency availability by phone at 888-609-9670. When our clients trust us with their homes, businesses, and mold needs — we have to deliver the best results possible.