When to Test for Mold in Your Salina Home
Not everybody’s mold situation is the same. In some cases, there are very obvious signs that mold has taken hold and spread – like when it is visible and giving off a distinct odor. On the other hand, there are situations that require a scientific lab to identify whether or not you have mold. A professional mold inspection with mold testing determines the full extent of any possible mold contamination using different kinds of tests.
We recommend scheduling a mold test if any of the following situations apply to you:
- When mold is not visible but gives off an odor. Mold typically grows while spreading spores to the building material around it. These spores help the mold grow as they eat away the building material. This process is what gives mold its distinctive smell, which can also linger in the air for a long time before the mold finally becomes visible.
- When your home suffers water damage. Any water damage that occurs in your home has the opportunity to jumpstart a mold infestation. The extra moisture is a turbo boost for mold. This includes everything from leaky pipes to a flooded basement. To prevent a future mold infestation, homeowners should prioritize fixing water damage first, professionally waterproofing basements and crawl spaces, and then testing for mold afterward.
- Muggy air inside your home. During the beginning and end of winter, warm temperatures can combine with high humidity to create the ideal conditions for mold. When you’ve noticed that the air inside feels unusually muggy, it could be a sign that your home has poor ventilation or a buildup of moisture somewhere.
- When concerned about the air quality. As mold spores can linger in the air for a long time before you first notice any mold growth, poor air quality can be a symptom of mold. If you have reason to suspect that the air quality may be poor, then we suggest scheduling a mold test soon.
- If you or another occupant have been experiencing health issues. In some cases, the buildup of mold spores can trigger several atypical symptoms in those with sensitive immune systems or in those who have lived with mold for an extended time. Several other symptoms, such as respiratory issues, congestion, and skin irritation, can also occur after long-term exposure.
- During real estate transactions. Getting a mold test done before the buying and selling of a house could protect both the buyer and the seller in this situation. It is crucial that potential occupants can make an informed decision about the mold situation before they move into a new home.
You May Also Want Additional Testing During Mold Inspection
During a professional mold inspection, there are testing options to consider in addition to the examination.
When diagnosing a home’s mold issue, we can use two different methods of mold testing. The types of tests available are air quality testing or direct testing. Each one provides scientific evidence about the conditions of an indoor environment. We then send the data that we collect during testing to a 3rd-party, accredited laboratory for analysis. Once we have all the information available about your mold infestation, we can form a plan of action for remediation.
The air samples we take give us a great deal of information about the number of spores inside your home. As mold is everywhere, we expect a certain amount of mold spores to already be present in your environment. However, any spike in the spore count above the norm suggests the presence of undesirable mold in your home, even if there are no other symptoms, and will require personal intervention.
In addition to air quality testing, surface testing is also an option during a mold inspection. The surface testing method uses mold swabs or bio tape to determine specifically what type of mold may be growing in your house. Depending on the building materials, surface testing can be performed behind a wall or above a ceiling with minimally intrusive effort.
Both types of testing are additional services offered upon request during a mold inspection.
Call Lamunyon for Mold Testing Today
At Lamunyon, we are here to get the job done right. With both an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and almost 50 years of service in the greater north-central Kansas area, we are the people to call for your mold assessment needs.
We have a great track record of delivering successful remediation and returning mold-free conditions. We work hard to provide the best quality mold-trained crew of mold testing technicians has experience working in countless moldy build removal services possible because we know the consequences of doing the job poorly are a detriment to both you and your property.
Lamunyon Mold’s mold specialists are fully licensed, insured and trained to provide safe and effective mold removal, mold assessment, dehumidification, mold inspection, and mold remediation services in Salina and throughout the North-Central area of Kansas.
We have 24/7 emergency availability by phone at 888-609-9670. When our clients trust us with their homes, businesses, and mold needs — we have to deliver the best results possible.