How to Prevent Mold Growth in Manhattan Kansas Basements
Basement mold is a common problem in residential and commercial properties in the Manhattan Kansas area. Kansas basements are often susceptible to moisture buildup from foundation leaks, flooding after storms, high humidity, poor air circulation and condensation. While basement mold is a very real problem that often requires professional mold remediation, basement mold is also a very preventable problem. With the right moisture control measures in place, Manhattan property owners can maintain a dry and mold-free basement.
What Causes Basement Mold in Kansas Buildings?
Moldy basements in Kansas buildings are most often the result of moisture buildup and underlying dampness. These are 6 of the most common water sources that cause mold growth in basements.
- High Humidity — Humidity is one of the leading causes of widespread mold growth in Kansas basements. Relative humidity levels over 55% can cause and sustain fungal growth in finished and unfinished basements.
- Flooding and Poor Drainage — Flooding or water intrusion can quickly cause mold development or quickly aggravate existing moldy conditions (making the problem worse or causing it to spread throughout the basement or other areas). If you encounter a major flood in your basement, you will likely need a professional water damage restoration company to extract the water and perform structural drying.
- Ground Water Vapors and Slab Cracks — Ground water vapors rise up through the cracks in the slab floor. As the damp vapors rise, the vapors will cling to and soak into the wood framing members overhead – causing moldy basement ceilings, including mold growth on floors and mold growth on subflooring.
- Foundation Wall Seepage — That white, chalky substance on your foundation walls is the first sign of a potential water intrusion issue at your basement walls. The white, chalky substance is efflorescence. It is the mineral and salt deposits carried in with water and left behind when the water evaporates. This often gets mistaken for mold on foundation walls, but it is not mold. However, it is a sign of a water seepage issue that needs to be addressed; otherwise, you will get mold later.
- Condensation — Condensation can develop on the cool surfaces of ductwork or piping. When the moisture evaporates, the water vapors will rise and cling to the wood frame above. With time, the vapors will soak into the porous wood of the basement ceiling and cause widespread mold growth on floor joists and subflooring.
- Insufficient Air Circulation — Basements in Manhattan KS are often used for storage. Excessive contents in the basement can restrict air flow and allow moisture from the stagnant, damp air to build up and cause mold over time.
Basement Mold Prevention & Basement Moisture Control
Moisture control is the key to mold prevention. A dry basement means a mold-free basement. If you have an existing mold problem, the first step should be mold remediation. Following mold remediation, the following mold preventatives should be put into place to prevent moisture buildup and possible regrowth.
- Dehumidification — Install a properly rated basement dehumidifier to keep basement humidity levels below 55%. It is important to make sure that the dehumidifier drains to the exterior.
- Drainage — Have your basement assessed by a local waterproofing company in Manhattan to determine if you have proper drainage to effectively divert water out and away from your structure. Drainage issues should be properly addressed and repaired as needed.
- Foundation Walls & Slab Repairs — Wall penetrations should be properly sealed. All cracks should be repaired. It might be necessary to consult a local foundation repair company in Manhattan complete the repairs.
- Air Circulation — Declutter and organize your basement to allow more air flow throughout the space. Reducing the a mount of stuff stored in the basement is an easy and low-cost way of optimizing air circulation and preventing buildup of damp, stagnant air.
Any repairs, reconstruction, waterproofing or drainage work should be complete AFTER all the mold has been removed from the moldy basement. If cleanup isn’t done first, contactors can cause cross contamination. If other contractors start working in the mold environment without containment, they will disturb the settled spores and cause spores to spread and contaminate previously clean surfaces.
Local Basement Mold Remediation Services in Manhattan Kansas
If you discover a mold issue in the basement of your Manhattan property, it is important to get it assessed and addressed by a professional mold inspector. Whether you have mold on your basement ceiling after a leak or you have moldy floor joists from high humidity – mold needs to be actively removed under containment and the proper moisture control measures need to be put into place to prevent regrowth. A local basement mold cleanup company in Manhattan KS, like the Lamunyon Team, will have the necessary training, experience and certifications to properly handle any water and mold related issues. Basement remediation needs to be completed following specific cleaning protocols and safety regulations to ensure a safe and effective cleanup. To learn more about safe and effective remediation services near you, call our local office today 785-367-2494.