Mold Myths VS. Mold Facts
Trained & Certified Mold Experts Debunk Mold Myths and Confirm the Mold Facts
5 Common Mold Myths Explained & Debunked
The reality is that mold is a very real problem, but it is a very fixable problem. Indoor mold growth does not necessarily mean flee the premises immediately, but letting mold go unchecked is not a good option either. Keep reading as we dive deeper into five of the most common myths and misconceptions about mold.
Myth 1: “I only need to worry about black mold or toxic mold.”
Truth: Excess levels of mold growth, no matter the color or type, needs to be assessed & properly addressed.
The dangers of “black mold” or “toxic mold” have really been sensationalized. The truth of the matter is, the color of the mold growth does not matter. While the popular “black mold” or stachybotrys is known to produce mycotoxins that can lead health implications, there are numerous other molds that also produce mycotoxins that come in various colors and can cause various health effects. Ultimately, the effects of mold depend a great deal on the individual, their immune system, the type of mold, length of exposure and various other factors.
Most importantly, excessive mold growth of any kid is a problem and needs to be actively removed to ensure the restoration of clean and safe living conditions. Unaddressed fungal growth can lead to damaged building materials and diminished structural integrity; therefore, it should be properly addressed no matter the species. Mold also means underlying moisture problems that can cause significant property damage. Following mold removal, it is important to properly repair the moisture source to prevent regrowth in the future.
Myth 2: “Bleach kills mold”
Truth: Bleach is not effective at removing mold from porous surfaces like wood.
The EPA formally recommends against the use of bleach to remove mold because it is ineffective in most cases. In very specific incidences, bleach can be used to address small areas of minor mold growth on hard, non-porous surfaces. Bleach is absolutely ineffective for the removal of mold from porous surfaces like wood. Mold spores spread, develop and root into the fibers of porous materials like wood, drywall, and cellulose-based building materials. Bleach cannot penetrate the surfaces to treat the deeply embedded mold root system. Even after applying bleach and wiping away mold from these surfaces, the mold will continue to grow beneath the surface and will return to the area you cleaned in a short amount of time. That is why so many homeowners will report that they tried bleaching it, but it just keeps coming back.
Mold spores and mold roots need to be actively removed following specific remediation protocols. Professional mold removal technicians in Kansas follow a specific mold removal process that includes HEPA vacuuming, antimicrobial application, physical scrubbing and deep root removal to ensure the thorough elimination of any fungal growth.
Myth 3: “We ‘killed’ the mold. ‘Dead’ mold is harmless.”
Truth: Even “dead” mold is viable and can be harmful. Mold needs to be actively removed not just “killed.”
“Dead mold may still cause allergic reactions in some people, so it is not enough to simply kill the mold, it must also be removed.” – The EPA on mold cleanup.
Killing mold is simply not enough. Even seemingly dead mold spores are viable and can make you and your family sick. No to mention, killing the mold at the surface does nothing as long as the roots are still embedded in your building materials. As long as the mold roots are still present, the mold will re-grow and leave you with more problems. Mold needs to be actively removed (roots and all) to avoid health effects and further property damage.
Myth 4: “Only messy people and dirty properties have mold.”
Truth: Mold does not discriminate based upon cleanliness.
Mold can and will grow anywhere given the right conditions. And those conditions DO NOT include cleanliness. All mold needs is a moisture source, organic matter to breakdown and comfortable temperatures. Mold is present everywhere, it is a natural part of the environment around us. Excessive indoor mold development is usually the result of an underlying dampness. Anything from high humidity to severe flooding, and every moisture source in-between, can cause widespread mold contamination. Even the cleanest of homes can end up with a mold problem if there is enough moisture. The key to mold prevention is not cleanliness. The key to mold prevention is moisture control.
Myth 5: “My contractor, handyman, plumber, etc. can take care of the mold.”
Truth: While your handyman, contractor, etc. can probably easily handle very specific cases of minor mold development, they are not properly equipped to handle a major mold problem.
In some mold cases, yes, your contractor or handyman can easily handle the removal with a little guidance and education. However, you should not make that assumption without consulting a professional mold removal company. When it comes to mold, you can be putting your family and your property at major risk. Mistreated or mishandled mold can mean serious implications like cross-contamination, additional property damage, additional health risks and even more costly repairs. Mold removal professionals are specially trained to properly handle mold, minimize risk of cross contamination, and perform a safe cleanup to return safe conditions in your residential or commercial property.
Local mold cleanup specialists in Kansas, like the Lamuyon Team, follow specific industry standards, safety guidelines and remediation procedures. At Lamunyon, we use physical removal techniques like HEPA vacuuming, we apply EPA-registered antimicrobials, and we harness modern oxidative technology to remove trapped mold roots. Non-salvageable building materials are carefully extracted and disposed of. We follow specific containment procedures to prevent cross-contamination and protect the clean, unaffected areas. Our technicians use the proper PPE to ensure everyone’s safety.
If you are dealing with a potential mold problem and need professional consultation, the local Lamunyon Team in Kansas can help. Our trained and certified mold experts are just a call away — 785-367-2494.